Wi-Fi password

Right, not dull but I’ve seen a few videos etc but still baffled.

I have a router which I’ve lost my Wi-Fi password and I don’t want to reset the router as I don’t have any settings written down but I’ll use that as a last resort.

I’ve tried a few devices to find the routers password, cache or what ever but so far I’m lost so…….

I’ve purchased a flipper and a Wi-Fi board and able to scan etc but as far as I’ve got.

Can someone help, advice or message me what I can do to to get my router back up and running and not start from fresh.

Thanks.

1 Like

It would be easier to retrieve the password from a device that’s already connected. Most will just show you the password. Cracking a password is outside the scope of this forum but search the following keywords anywhere else. Just copy and paste them.

Flipper Zero Marauder hashcat

1 Like

Thanks.

I’ve looked at the only phone for the Wi-Fi password and it’s not stored.

Anyway, thanks.

If WPS is enabled, you could kinda try tools like reaver from a laptop or something like that, but if you do not have any credentials, what is the worst you could lose resetting it? What router model are we talking about? Some you can even telnet into without credentials to change configurations and backup things without going into the webinterface, did you try all defaultpasswords from documentation?

1 Like

I’m guessing you’re right and the OP’s setup isn’t complex or they would know the password but some of us have pretty complex setups so I can imagine the worst. lol

but i guess your ISP has support, i do not think there are magical routes or or setups that are so hard to reconfigure.
Hookup a UTP cable, check a traceroute to the internet for sure to see if you forgot any hops. Even if you need to reconfigure WDS settings cause you have a router in every room its mostly following the wizard? If the router/accespoint is provided by the ISP chances are big it has autoconfig options enabled, so i wonder what type we are talking about.

most homenetwork setups are not that complicated at all, at least, i have seen very little people with a enterprise setup at home.

1 Like

Sorted.

1 Like

Oh boy, you have no idea what some of us are doing. First of all I wouldn’t let those idiots touch my router settings. The misconfigurations I have seen with not just my ISP but with other peoples. Those incompetent fools don’t even change default passwords. Many of the routers from ISP’s are garbage and they want you to pay a monthly fee to rent that garbage.

I once spent an hour on the phone for them to diagnose a problem I already diagnosed. The modem I was paying them a monthly fee for was broken. All I had asked was if I could bring it down to their office and swap it out. Even after I performed every diagnostic they asked for and they couldn’t come up with an alternate diagnosis they still said I was mistaken. A field tech they sent out confirmed my diagnosis after I sat without internet for several days. They actually wanted me to pay for a service call and they didn’t bring a replacement.

On to network complexity. Mind you my network isn’t close to what other people are doing. I’m only going to go over my primary access point which is a residential device. I also have other AP’s, virtual networks, and switches.

I have around 40 devices. Many have static IP addresses set up manually. I have Dynamic DNS to keep a DNS hostname up to date with my public IP address in case it were to change. I have VPN settings so I can dial back in to my home network. My router is connected to my home automation system via telenet so I can monitor devices. I have port forwarding set up to black hole traffic and allow the VPN to work. I have my router set up for internet fail over. A mobile device can plug into a USB port on the router for backup internet. I don’t keep one plugged into the router but it’s set up so when I plug it in everything works. I use keyword and url filtering. I had parental controls set but my daughter grew up and moved out. I disable UPNP because it’s a potential security risk. I have custom DNS servers set in the router to increase speed and reliability. There may be other things too but I think you get the point. It would take a while to get everything back if I had to nuke my router to factory defaults. My router can be restored from a backup but if I got locked out like the OP a restore wouldn’t be an option.

Forgot: Wireless MAC filters

2 Likes

I totally agree with your point, but not with the method.

Like yours, my setup is somewhat complex. 4 WLAN, 7VLAN, three hosts and various VM/containers for this and that.

But like you’ve already wrote, some of the ISP routers are more crap. Si not very reliable.
The most important task for me is the documentation. If a router dies, I have no backup. Even if the ISP demands a factory reset, I can rebuild it within minutes, step by step. Of course sometimes I forget to write down a change. But this is most times easy to detect.

Documentation ist key.

1 Like

I agree and I’ve started taking detailed notes over the years.
My primary router however is an old device from before I started running my home lab like it were a business.

For the future, you could find a BadUSB script that scrapes the wifi creds from a connected PC. Then you could use your flipper to inject it.