Uncomfortable with deceitful backer limits

As some have pointed out, the limit of max backers for the Early Bird tier has continually been going up to keep the number of remaining backers in a constant state of red, somewhere between ~100 to ~20 from what I’ve seen just today. As of 15 Aug 2020 they had “Limited (62 left of 21574)” where as today it is Limited (53 left of 25674).

Now this could be a doing of “jellop” which is apparently managing the kickstarter but I’m not sure
I would understand upping the limit every 5k or so but clearly a bot is doing it. This is really manipulative!

I’m not sure how others think but it seems to be the only mark on this entire project.

2 Likes

This question was asked on the kickstarter page last week by a customer with a similar concern, the max is being increased based on ROI. See the attached image for more detail:

By having only a small amount available at one time, it allows them to stop selling discounted units much more quickly than if there were more (not sure if kickstarter lets you reduce limited pledge amounts after the fact). It’s a pretty good business model, since it also gives the user a sense of urgency to buy the product. Yes, it’s a little bit sketchy, but chances are, it probably wouldn’t have influenced your decision that much. For most people, they will have already decided whether or not to invest, and the discount is just a little extra

1 Like

I also felt a bit cheated but it is only a $10 discount and I have seen it sell out.