Mag stripe reader writer?

Add a magstripe reader writer. More pen-testing capabilities!

1 Like

Magstripe has nothing to do with pentesting afaik, it’s more of a physical security tool at most.
If you want a magstripe reader/writer for the Flipper Zero, feel free to design and make one as a hardware module:
https://flipperzero.one/developers

A MagStripe reader/writer would be an interesting tool to have.
It might have fit the use case for the Flipper zero, but development has progressed so far that I doubt we will see any extra features integrated into the main device (hence the suggestion of a module).

I doubt we will see it integrated into the Flipper One either tbh, as it appears to be geared towards professional pentesters (who would have no use for one).

3 Likes

I wouldnt necessarily say that a mag stripe reader is useless in pentesting. Less used maybe but I know a few places that still use mag strip id cards available.

That being said mag strip readers would be better as a gpio device probably but a casette tape reader/writer head also works to read mag strips on cards. It’s just binary data and you could use the dev board to add a reader writer head.

You’d just need to write a program to read/write the tracts to the card.

Optionally what would be nicer is a coil that works like the Samsung phones that will beam the card data to the card reader so you could emulate mag strip cards

1 Like

Already possible with 125 khz antenna: Итоги Хакатона Flipper Zero / Habr

2 Likes

@notme1

Why are all the pictures blurred out ?

Because the page is translated using the Google translator. You can press the “Go to the original page” button where the pictures load properly, but it’ll be in Russian

2 Likes

@Astra

Thanks will do. :heart: