Idea sharing : Flipper internal clock sync via lab.flipper.net, app, or setting

It would be great to have a feature like “Sync internal clock” when we connect Flipper Zero to the web app “lab.flipper.net”, because when using time sensitive technologies like OTP Authenticator on the Flipper Zero, because the internal clock isn’t very accurate I need to resync the internal clock manually via the “date” command and the cli.

But this could be done automatically when connecting the Flipper Zero through USB to lab.flipper.net or using Bluetooth and the companion App, to keep the device clock synced with the current time and avoid OTP codes or GPS drift due to the internal clock missmatch the real current time from 1 or 2 minutes after some months.

Or perhaps a setting inside the Flipper Zero firmware to be able to correct the clock when it drift. (this refers to : Better clock integration)

4 Likes

Will sync on every connection soon, should’ve been done earlier. Thanks!

3 Likes

It would be interesting if someone made an RTC module for the Flipper.

WDYM?
Flipper has its own RTC, it’s just too far in its accuracy from atomic clocks that all the Internet syncs from.

2 Likes

It sounds as though RTC aren’t as accurate as I thought. I see someone claiming to lose as much as 30 seconds in a day with a RTC(not the one in the Flipper). That’s enough to make MFA fail after a day or two. Maybe that was in a very hot or cold environment. I’ll have to measure the drift on my Flipper for a baseline out of curiosity.

Works on lab.flipp.dev @Bightsudbury
Will roll out to lab.flipper.net later, most likely next week.

3 Likes

So on lab.flipp.dev I connect and it syncs the time with no other interaction needed on my part? Very nice! I hope to see this come to the mobile app soon.

1 Like

Iirc it’s been available on mobile for a couple months already

2 Likes

That’s great! keep up the good work!

2 Likes

Wow, thanks a lot :slight_smile:

2 Likes

An idea: how hard it is to receive some clock radio signal? (I know of DCF77 compatible transmitter app)
How much energy is needed to do it daily?

2 Likes

In the US we have WWVB 60 kHz. From what I see DCF77 is 77.5 kHz Sadly neither are compatible with Flipper. I would use a GPS module. That’s pretty standard in the Ham community now and coverage is global. There are plenty of cheap modules used for ESP devices. Downside of GPS for time is it doesn’t work well indoors.

2 Likes

is that you need a separate module.

If Flipper can transmit DCF77, it may (or may not) be possible to receive it too. That’s my question.
Wikipedia, on a quick glance, doesn’t show anything at CC’s range, but I wouldn’t be surprised if there are some.

The GPS module can be useful wardriving as well. You could always make your own low power time server. Have you evaluated trying to decode the time information in other types of signals? There are probably signals out there that aren’t meant for time keeping but which broadcast the time and could be used to synchronize the time.

1 Like

The dcf option is more a way of abusing the nfc off tuned , also why it only works in very close proximity, If you would really want to play around with this , matching the 50kw German output is not the most efficient one to match if that is your target :smiley: I would go for a smaller target at first like my bedroom clock that might trip having the flipper next to the antenna.

Doesn’t make sense for me right now. Do you talk about locally jamming the normal DCF with one from Flipper?

My target is getting the right time on Flipper without a phone or PC.

2 Likes

My only other idea was a cross band repeater. You catch the signal on one bad and translate it to another frequency the Flipper can decode. Hams do that type of thing a lot. There is a device called Ham-it-up that demonstrates the general idea although with a specific frequency in mind it might be easier.

Flipper的RTC时间总是比标准时间慢1秒,很烦恼!