GPIO Modules

I see modules for sell on various sites, but in truth do not know the purpose for most of them.

For example, what would a module having this mean: NRF24+PA+LNP and WRoom

What would that be/do?

Sorry, totally unfamiliar with this level of tom foolery.

1 Like

That doesn’t tell you much unless you already know all the shorthand and what the chips are. It’s a lot of technical stuff thrown in a short description.

• PA is a Power Amplifier (Makes the signal stronger)
  • LNP is a Low-Noise Preamplifier (Makes the signal stronger)
  • NRF24 is a 2.4GHz radio.
  • WRoom is an ESP chip. That does the smarts like a CPU in your computer. The ones I see listed have the 32 variant of the chip so they have Bluetooth(2.4GHz) and WiFi(2.4GHz in one radio. Some may only support WiFi but not Bluetooth so you will want to check that.

The radios on board are 2.4GHz. Their capabilities are different though. The radio in the Wroom is locked down a bit but it does WiFi and Bluetooth quite well. The radio in the NRF isn’t good at WiFi or Bluetooth but it can do other things like jamming and reading of signals that aren’t WiFi or Bluetooth.

1 Like

Thanks, I’m just trying to look into what all this thing can do. Some of it is waaaay over my head. lol

1 Like

NRF is mostly well-known in Flipper context for Mousejack attack. There is ready software.
WRoom is general, but I’m not aware of existing solutions to do something. WiFi attacks are likely possible.

1 Like

Yes, I forgot about the mouse jacking. For WiFi/Bluetooth attacks you load a special firmware on the WiFi board. I probably shouldn’t name it but it’s easy to find.

The WiFi board should be usable as a WiFi debugger as well but there are cheaper boards if you just want debugging.

It’s going to take a while and some reading to get up to speed but you’ll figure it out. :+1:

1 Like

But that’s not the WiFi board, so existing software won’t work easily.

Do you mean it isn’t the official WiFi board? That’s true but I think the NRF/Wroom boards are already superior to the official WiFi board in functionality. The official board is still a great choice though because you can’t beat the price.