Super external IR Blaster

So I was working on this. It works but not as well as I expected. I am still investigating why. I still need to look at the waveform of the current through the FET to see if the constant current regulators are gumming things up. Not completely though because it does work, just not from outside the house.

http://volcano.newts.org/2022/06/08/flipper-weaponized-universal-tv-remote-ir-blaster/

5 Likes

I wish I could help but this is beyond my technical knowledge. That being said I am looking forward to seeing what kind of progress you make.

1 Like

Thanks. I have some smart friends for the deep dive on power transistors but unfortunately I will be traveling for a couple weeks in Europe so this project will be on pause.
It has been a fun project and I am learning a lot and enjoy sharing it with the pod

Wow, it’s so cool not only to see someone having same crazy evil idea but bringing it to life exactly the same way I imagined :slight_smile: looking forward to see it in action!

1 Like

You could be making this too hard on yourself. Build an IR repeater with an input and an output. The Flipper sends it’s signal. The repeater amplifies and repeats the signal. Have you considered gutting an infrared light for night time cameras? I suspect those powerful IR LED could be repurposed and parts like heat sinks would already be there. There are probably some used ones you could upcycle.

1 Like

That is a good idea. i have built a repeater before for a robot dance party and I have some Vishay receivers. At least then I wouldn’t have to compile a special version of Flipper code to use it.

All of the cameras I have seen just a bunch of standard lamp package LEDs and are not as focused or powerful as the flashlight should be. I also have my first attempt using a high power emitter from a laser where the KT crystal died. There are much higher power focused “flashlights” for hunting if I want to up my game any more. But that’s a little more obvious walking down the street…

ME: “Imagining one of those police spotlight in the infrared spectrum”.

1 Like

I thought I had seen those but not in a quick search. Just this

1 Like