Roku 2nd generation IR code brute force - Help test unknown codes?

I pulled several IR codes off of my remote, and I found a source suggesting that Roku IR codes consist of one byte of data, along with the bitwise complement of that data (this appears to be correct for the codes I’ve identified).

I wanted to find IR codes for things like YouTube and AppleTV, so I wrote a Julia script to step through all 256 codes and help record the results. Most of them make a “dink” or “badink” sound and don’t seem to do anything else, but I found a few codes that show the message “Something went wrong. Please wait a few moments and try again.”.

Can anyone help test these codes? I suspect they might be related to CEC control of the TV, but my TV doesn’t support CEC.

I’ve attached the relevant .ir files, including the one with all the channels I found (US region).

Roku2_went_wrong.ir (301 Bytes)
Roku2_channels.ir (2.6 KB)

Other findings: with current Roku firmware, only 128 of the 256 codes are used. When you cross the 128th code, the codes repeat, so the uppermost bit is ignored.

1 Like

After my own heart. I did the same thing with my Fire TV. I went through about 65K codes. I’ll take a look at your codes and see what happens when I get a chance.

I’m going to have to dig out an old Roku. I tried on my Roku TV and none of your codes work. I’m also messing with Bad USB on my Fire TV. Have you looked at Flipper IRDB? You should contribute your codes when you are ready.

I found a “Roku Remote” mobile app, which claims to work over WiFi and IR. Here are captures.
Roku_remote_0.ir (1.1 KB)
Roku_remote_1.ir (1.5 KB)
Roku_remote_2.ir (2.3 KB)
Roku_remote_3.ir (4.9 KB)
Roku_remote_4.ir (905 Bytes)
For record: app is roid.spikesroid.roku_tv_remote, SHA256 D4E7E3ED224C6E40734BFBBA78A441FC5E2BE3B294A61A027B3B809830A9AD96