Mifare Classic endlessly searching for keys

I have identified my school id card as a Mifare Classic but when I try to run the compatible app it starts but just stays on the beginning without making any progress. I don’t know if I’m doing something wrong or if my card is just weird.

This means that your card’s keys are not in the default dictionary and the Flipper can’t read the card

Cool thanks. I was worried I was doing something wrong. Is there a way for me to help expand the database with my card?

If you have a proxmark3 you can run hf mf autopwn and upload the resulting dump/key file (if the card contains personal info it’s better to upload just the key file for your privacy)

2 Likes

okay so the Flipper its self can’t get that data?

so you have to scan the rfid tag with the proxmark3 first, and then upload that file to flipper?

Only if the keys are not in the stock dictionary (which already has quite a lot of keys)

1 Like

where is the stock dictionary? Is it on github or the flipper documentation site?

Thank you, are these keys already included in flipper or do i have to manually install them?

They are installed when updating via qflipper

Located in the nfc/assets folder on the SD

1 Like

okay i see them now, thanks. Do you have a time frame on when the mifare classic functionality will be fully operational, to the point where it can read and emulate mifare classic rfid tags?

It can already read tags just fine (if you don’t know the key you can’t read the tag, that’s the whole point of mifare classic), and the emulation will be added soon, but I don’t have any exact timeframes for when that’ll happen (but we’re working on it rn)

3 Likes

There are some cryptographic attacks on the mifare classic card that can recover the key from almost any card, but they require a lot of research to implement and currently aren’t our main focus rn.

1 Like

okay, I have an apartment rfid tag that the flipper cannot read with the rfid app, but it can read it with the nfc app, and then when i run the ‘read mifare classic’ app it also gets all the keys and it can save it, but it just cannot emulate it. when i read it with the nfc app though, it tells me right away that it is mifare classic. It also gets the UID from it. just cannot emulate it properly at my apartment door reader.

As I said in my post above, the mifare classic emulation is not implemented yet

2 Likes

okay i see, thanks