Malfunctioning Back Button?

Has anyone else run into this? The Back button on my Flipper is acting strangely. It works when I use it to reboot, or full reboot but not to boot to DFU, or in any other capacity, including Unlock. I am puzzled.

I have tried to repair, done a factory reset, installed 57.0, reformatted the card and reinstalled 57.0, rebooted in DFU, ran Repair, which has gone a bit sketchy but eventually correctly. If I use the screen controls, and reboot to DFU, I get a Repair button again. So I Run it and operation seems successful, but still no love from the back button.

Anyone have suggestions?

1 Like

Hi! Do I understand correctly that your back button only works when you have to hold it down (as opposed to quickly pressing it)?

You can enable debug tools in the settings menu and use the Keypad Test app to check

I used the debug tool, no reset, no exit. It was working only to reboot (back+left), but not when trying to reboot to DFU. The firmware responds to commands in qflipper or via screen streaming. I powered down and it does not restart by holding the back button.

Ca you record a video of you pressing the button in the keypad test app? Like, quickly press it a few times, then hold and release it a few times, try pressing harder/lighter etc.

The behavior you’re describing sounds really weird, we need as much info as possible

Unfortunately, this site does not allow attachment of mp4’s. I will convert later when back at my computer, and upload then. However, it will only confirm what I say now. I put the unit into debug, launch the keypad test, test all directions, but no reset, no exit, rapid taps, long tap, hard pressure and soft. Then I press left and back and the unit reboots normally, then I press and hold left and back again, releasing back, still holding left for several seconds, and instead of booting to repair, it just boots normally.

Somehow, the button still functions in some capacity, but not as normal. Also, if I shut the power off, it will not restart unless I plug a usb cable into it. It is very confusing.

Edit: However, all functions are normal when accessed via bluetooth or USB.

1 Like

I just received my Flipper Zero, and came to the forums to diagnose this exact issue. I am not able to power on the unit with the back button. I charged the battery fully (and it now shows 100% charged, and the green charge light is on). The unit seems to function just fine when connected to USB power, but I am unable to start the unit when not connected to shore power. I’ve tried various lengths of time to hold down the back button to no avail. I’ve also tried the various button combinations (left arrow, etc.) with the back button, with no success. I’ve tried holding down the button by itself and in combination with the directional arrow (all of them, in sequence) and OK buttons for 30 seconds too - no change. I’ve done factory reset - no change. I’ve installed the latest release firmware - no change. Installed the latest DEV FW, no change. The keyboard test shows fine, and literally the only issue I can find with the unit is that it will not enter run mode if no external USB power is available. I’ve also used the POWER menu to reset, shutdown, and factory reset - no change. It’s literally like the low-power “sleep” mode is ignoring the back button press to start up into normal run-mode.

If your back button works at times other than powering up, we may not have the same issue. My back button works to reboot, but only to reboot into normal mode, not to DFU, not to power up, not during debug. I am flummoxed.

You have a different problem, please create another topic for that

Link to video. https://we.tl/t-UhonOJ3YMD

It seems that your debug level is set to “Trace”, which significantly impacts the performance of your flipper. Can you set it to “Default” and check if the problem is still there?

I set the log level to Default and no change, no matter if I set Debug to Enable or Disable, Back still just works to reboot. No apparent change.

Hi,
Have you fixed the issue with power on? I have the same one.
Thx.

It started working finally on its own, after I left it alone and uncabled for 48 hours. Everything is normal now. I don’t know why it didn’t respond for sure, but it might have had something to do with the large flash card I used (128GB, because I had it on hand). Maybe the device was doing some sort of background operation on the drive and the button was unresponsive until that task was done? Dunno. It’s working just fine now.

1 Like

I have 8Gb card. Let me try to do the same, keep alone for 24+ hrs

Just a follow up… the unit quit working again. Upon disassembly, I found the red wire in the battery connector partially pulled out. I was able to push it back into place with needle nose pliers - and all is well again.

Sorry for reviving a old thread but i have the same problem whatever i do it wont go away i even opened the flipper but nothing the back button is in a poosition where its stuck, u can use buttons but never go back. If u just hold the left buttoin it restarts like u were holding th back button and left… So how do i get rid of this problem… Do i need to contact flipper and RMA?