Learn New Remote isn't picking up IR signals

When I press Learn New Remote, the status LED flashes white, but nothing seems to happen when I press buttons on the IR remote. How is this supposed to work? The remote is for a Mitsubishi mini split HVAC.

That is how it is suppose to work.

Are you sure is IR? Any chance it could be RF?

I say that because my remote it only IR for the power. All the other buttons appear to be RF and I cant learn them that way.

That was worth checking. I covered the IR with an opaque object and the remote stopped working, so I believe that it’s completely IR and no RF.

At the very least, the on/off signals should be readable, and I’m not having any success with those either.

1 Like

Then your remote probably uses a different carrier frequency that flipper doesn’t support

What is the range of IR carrier frequencies that Flipper Zero supports? Where is this documented?

So the Flipper Zero only works with 38KHz IR signals? Also, the Universal Library only has TV remotes right now. Are there plans to add AC remotes, which are more complex?

Yes, only 38khz signals are supported. AC remotes will definitely be added in the future.

2 Likes

I ran into a similar problem. You can find some details about the mitsubishi protocol here https://github.com/r45635/HVAC-IR-Control

I looked through their code and it seems like the remote may use 38khz, based on this code

The device does send a relatively large payload, I’m not sure if there are any limits there. What are the options for enabling some more verbose logging during the IR read phase?

Same here, any update?

Can we help? Record debug log or raw capture?

The RAW capture is turned on automatically if the signal can’t be parsed, so if you don’t see any changes on the flipper’s screen after playing the IR signal at it, it’s not a case of “it can’t parse the signal”.

Can you confirm that your remote is working and it uses IR?

Remote working fine on the AC and my Flipper IR receiver is fine with my TV remote (record and send ok).

Also, I can see the AC remote led blinking using my phone camera when I try to record but flipper do not detect anything.
I’m only using flipper interface, I don’t try to look for log or anything else (get my flipper yesterday and don’t know much about it).

Just try a Panasonic AC remote at work and it’s work fine so it’s probably link to a Mitsubishi AC remote feature

Can you send a photo of the remote and the label on it?

Photo of the remote Imgur: The magic of the Internet

I could find more info on the manual (but have to find where is it… ^.^ )

I have had the same issue with a very similar Mitsubishi AC remote, despite good results learning TV remotes. The remote uses a clear, uncovered diode (no tint or IR window), but I am not sure if that offers any hints.

1 Like

I had a similar issue with a Samsung Smart TV: Some buttons could be read, but for some it simply did not read anything. I found out that my remote uses Bluetooth and IR only as a fallback with a few exceptions such as the power button.

Solution was: I moved the remote far enough away from the device it’s controlling for bluetooth to fail so it fell back to IR (took a few random button pushes for the remote to recognize). While out of range I was able to read the signal.

1 Like