Idea - Implement U2F here?

Most likely not possible but would be cool to be able to use flipper U2F option when logging here…

It’s already possible, I use it

Just add a U2F key as you would with any other

Cool, i’ve found it on the forum preferences. I will try it out !

Yeah, any other… a little more explanation for the people that don’t use U2F every day would be nice.
Thank you in advance.

Go to your user profile settings, select the security tab, there will be an option to manage two-factor authentication

I’m playing around with a Yubikey, quite a time. and as additional advice:

• Save your Backupcodes well
  • or better add ‘Token Based Authentication’ as well.

It happens more than once, that I wanted to login and my backup codes are secure in my vault at home but I was on the road …
It even doesn’t matter what ‘Token-Based Authenticator’ you’re using. I’ve started with the ‘Microsoft Authenticator’, because of working in the Azure-World. But the Google Authenticator or any OpenSource will do the trick, too.
The only reason I can imagine, why I would use two different Authenticator apps: Split Business and private.

Why I’m writing so much for such a little topic?
Imagine you want to login into the forum, because a firmware update went wrong. This means the U2F won’t work, too. It is better to have a second 2 Factor with me in this case.

And for all picture loving people, attached an image where to setup 2FA in this forum:

3 Likes

Thanks, this is really helpful!

All that is left now is how to fux the buggy Flipper U2F app?
Then I select the U2F app it shows “Connected!” while it’s NOT plugged in ??
Then when I insert the USB cable into my laptop it shows “Connect me to computer” ??
After a few attempts of restarting the app and reconnecting the USB cable it finally works just ling enough to add the Flipper as a security key.

Getting this to work is hard and so unstable that at this moment it is not something I would use on anything other than this forum. I got the same unstable connection at the in this forum mentioned Ubikey test website, I got through the first test, but that was all. Looking forward to a stable version.

When you get the info that U2F is connected even when it’s not simple reboot your flipper with USB disconnected and then try again. This might be caused by previouse use of qflipper, badusb, etc … Just make sure that you reboot your flipper and connect it when you did already open the U2F app on flipper without using other stuff that might interfeer like qflipper.

2 Likes

Thanks,
A reset of the Flipper makes the app work more reliable, but not reliable enough in my opinion. (After a minute or so it asks me to connect it to a computer while it is still connected?) While this is fine for hobby / educational purposes, I can not recommend the use of Flipper to secure any personal or professional accounts. But I might be able to use it as a backup for my YubiKey.