Feature Request: Magspoof

Would it be possible to implement a small electromagnetic coil on the right hand “wall” of the device to emulate magnetic stripe cards? Something in the same line as Samyk’s Magspoof device?

7 Likes

This would be a great addition, you could even work in a card reader, maybe swiping down one side.

That would be amazing to have a card reader and emulator. Maybe a card writer could even be fit in. I imagine it’s probably too late to implement this into the Flipper Zero, but it could always be made as a hardware addon module. The magspoof hardware is not very large or power hungry: https://samy.pl/magspoof/. Most traditional card readers are quite large, but Square has a card reader that is about the size of a US Quarter, so it’s definitely possible to make a small reader.

2 Likes

Not having this seems like a huge omission, given the other features of this device! Especially since it can be done so small, these “square” readers are incredibly tiny and could be built into the case of this device, and the coil needed is tiny and only the motor to drive it is needed. Having it as an add-on for a features that feels so basic to this device would make it rather bulkier, and way more awkward. Think about it, team, squeeze it in!

I’ll join the choir and say congrats on blowing the Kickstarter away, I’m looking forward to mine! Amazing thing you’re building

1 Like

This guy even managed to simplify the hardware so no motor-driver is needed, just a transistor and a coil.
https://www.idogendel.com/en/archives/507

1 Like

maybe add it as a hardware plugin can be easily done for flipper zero. First thing as to do list when received :upside_down_face:

If it could be made small enough to tuck inside the case, this could be a huge feature. Many doors and access systems still use magstripe cards for access. Many have been replaced by NFC and RFID cards. I can see using it, at least in my case, as a “card wallet” of sorts so that I carry all the silly loyalty cards I use for shops, but in a fun case with a cute dolphin buddy instead of a 4cm thick stack of annoying plastic.

I see a beautiful 3rd-party module request here. The reader at least, the writer is just a wire.
Will the RFID antenna have enough power to emulate it? Could it? (I don’t think so, but I’ll hope)

Well, i’ll be sitting here till i have my flipper zero.

We have to do this.-

This is a great thread and a great idea.

We’ve had a few people declare their interest in making a magspoof or magstripe reader/writer/emulator module on the discord.
As for who will actually step up to the plate and make it, we’ll have to wait and see.

If you’re interested in making the module, there’s info on module development here:

For those of you who aren’t using a chromium-derivative browser, you’ll have to scroll down a bit, past the hardware development section to get to the module developers section (chromium browsers will scroll you down automatically).

Is this something that could be built on a GPIO card?

There was a POC demo in December of a vanilla flipper (no hardware mods) spoofing a magstripe card, so yeah, that’s absolutely possible

The only reason you’ll need an external module is to read the card data

1 Like

Is the demo public? What hardware did it use to transmit?

The demo is indeed public and is published on github in the feature/nomodule branch. It used the 125khz RFID hardware to transmit.

4 Likes

What I had understood is that there is talk of a magnetic stripe reader, and emulate the passage of the magnetic stripe of a card (normally credit card) on a reader, which I understand is not complex to reproduce, but would require hardware to read.
If the demo that you mention is https://cdn.flipperzero.one/bank_card_2_cut.mp4 as mentioned in Diving into RFID Protocols with Flipper Zero, it is in a demonstrative way, since its “reproduction” is useless, in addition to the fact that it deals with another form of “card communication” (RFID).

Bump to add magspoof to the release branch

1 Like

That’s amazing! Thank you! Here’s a direct link for others: flipperzero-firmware/applications/magspoof at feature/nomodule · dunaevai135/flipperzero-firmware · GitHub

2 Likes

where can I find the external module board scheme?

I believe that in addition to the firmware, you would need some "TRACK2.

Track2 is an American Banking Association (ABA) format for storing information on the magnetic stripe on your credit card. Track2 is also included in EMV chip results under tag 57

Track2 is the only one of the 3 track formats with its own character encoding. If you get it with parity bits included, you’re looking at ISO 7811-modified 5-bit ASCII encoding.

Note that this topic is about Magspoof with Flipper, not in general.