Controlling IR devices smartly: issue sequence of signals

I have a Vornado 6303DC which runs off an IR remote. I understand i can use the IR signal learning of Flipper to learn the various signals. My question is how do i tell Flipper emulate a sequence of signals to “turn on”+“set speed to 50” with a single button press on Flipper? Can I do it just on Flipper without having to analyze signals on a computer?

1 Like

The flipper zero supports replaying recorded signals.
You should be able to point your 6303DC remote at the flipper zero (while it is listening for an IR signal) and record the signal.
You can then later replay it as needed.

I’m not sure about the mechanics of having 2 signals on one recording, we’ll have to wait until we get the product to test that.
Worse case scenario, you have to press 3 buttons (select recording one, scroll down, select recording 2) to perform the intended transmission.

There is a wide range of publicly accessible IR signal databases you can access such as http://irdb.tk/find/ and https://github.com/probonopd/irdb which I believe can be added to the flipper.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum, thanks for posting.

Those databases could be quite useful…
Adding support for them out of the box might be a bit out of scope for the firmware, but it would make a good community-made script.
Once the SDKs are released, the community can work on scripts to add additional functions and features to the flipper.

Bear in mind that the flipper has no network connection.
If a script was to be made, then the user would have to download the whole database and store it on a micro SD card for the script to read.

The flipper might not have any wifi connectivity but out of the box it will have bluetooth and the developers are working on an android/ios app which I assume can be used for sending and receiving data between a phone & flipper on the go so if you happen to stumble upon a device that is in the database you could spend a few minutes coding the outputs on your phone and send it straight to your flipper to test.

I’m not saying it isn’t doable, but to make it into an easily useable community-developed feature, it would take some planning (so that we can all avoid resorting to debugging/rewriting the script while trying to get it to work).

Yes, the intention is to have the app be able to transfer data back and forth between it’s host and the flipper.

So far, the flipper team haven’t focused at all on the apps.
I’m not sure if that’s because they want to get the FW done first or if they’re leaving the apps to the community to build.
For now though, the apps are purely community-developed.

I’m going to leave this thread be.
My previous post was purely to add context and realistic expectation to the idea and it seems that you have thought this out to a reasonable degree.

If you or someone else wants to make this, I wouldn’t stop you/them.
If someone makes it, I’d probably end up using it.

2 Likes

I don’t have much technical knowledge but the latest blog has a manual input system for RFID which uses Hexadecimal, the same way the ir signals in the databases are communicated. Could the initial firmware not just replicate this?

This thread has kind of been split into 2 topics tbh:
1. playing a sequence of signals with one user input
As I said in the second message in this thread, this is probably doable with the Firmware out-of-the-box.
Assuming that the FW supports recording multiple signals on one recording, just recording the “power on” signal and the signal for changing the channel from the remote would let the user replay that set of actions as neeeded.

2.IR signal databases
The thing to be considered here is where the database(s) is/are stored.

• It could be stored on the microsd card, so a script on the flipper would just have to read the codes (that the user directs it to read) and send them to the IR hardware for transmission.
    What you described in your message is pretty much the read and send part of the above sentence.
    The DB could either be transferred from a computer to the microsd or (potentially) downloaded to a phone using the app and then written to the microsd via bluetooth file transfer.

• An alternative to having one or more databases of IR codes in flipper expansion storage is the app device could store it in it’s accessible storage.
    This would allow the app to serve as a more useable UI for browsing the database(s) and then the app could send ir signal commands to the flipper.
    This option would leave the heavy lifting to the device that the app is on (and would probably require more programming tbh)

Either of these options for handling the database(s) would be community scripting projects, not part of the firmware.

2 Likes

@M_T Hi! I found this thread through google. Ive been trying to figure out if there is a way to actually do the 1st topic. As far as I can tell it is not doable out of the box now that we have the device.
Does anyone know if there is a solution to this?

2 Likes