Baofeng UV-5R UHF radio

I have a Baofeng UV-5R UHF radio handset and was wondering if it might be possible to use my Flipper to record / playback audio via radio. Since Flipper doesn’t allow use of specific frequencies (outside of modifying files) I set my radio to 438.900 and tried all the modulation modes on my Flipper to record RAW and play it back. The radio uses FM, but I tried all the modes anyway. FM238 gave garbled radio noises and static, and the rest gave either a few clicking sounds or nothing at all.

Would it be possible to achieve what I’m looking for (FM radio recording / playback)?

Secondary question: would it be possible to listen to AM or FM radio on the Flipper? It has the proper frequency ranges for it.

No FM/AM Radio (i mean Music) bc Flipper DOES NOT support the needed frequencies (~85-120MHz)
The CC1101 Chip, which is the Flippers "SubGHz"Chip supports Frequency Ranges( MHz) 300-348, 387-464, 779-928

So technically “SubGhz” is a bit misleading due to only cover certain ranges not fullrange.
Flipper is NOT an SDR!

Edit: with an SDR you can listen to FM/AM Radio :wink:

2 Likes

Unless I misunderstood something, I thought the OP was using a flipper supported frequency. I have the same radio and was using it to play with the spectrum/frequency analyzers a bit, but it looks like either the radio or the flipper are miscalibrated as it would keep showing up 5 MHz off from where it was set.

Edit: stupid autocorrect

my post is related to LISTEN to music AM/FM :wink:

Oops, missed the secondary question, was focused in on the public radio freq question. Which, speaking of…

@wasp604 did you make sure you had a proper antenna for that band attached?

Pretty sure it’s a proper antenna for that band, since it’s being used for communications at 438.500 MHz when I’m not fiddling with it, and it works well for that.

Oh, ok, I was mistaken about the Flipper’s capabilities, then. But… then, how does the Flipper show data on the frequency analyser in those unsupported ranges? Or do you mean that it just can only read data in specific ranges?

Have you used the frequency analyzer to see if the flipper is picking it up on the freq you set? I have the exact same radio with a high quality antenna, but have found that it it seems to drift considerably from the displayed freq, even accounting for the offset setting.

I actually haven’t tested reading the radio frequency with the Flipper frequency analyser yet. I’ll give it a try when the radio comes back from its current mission!

Check your repeater offset. When you transmit if the offset on 70cm is set it will be off by +/-5MHz.

I’d be very cautious about where you’re transmitting and at what power with that radio.

Are you licensed to transmit on those frequencies? My initial thought is that you are probably not licensed to transmit with that radio at all.

2 Likes

Agree 100% . I also have that exact same radio + license but even so my license doesn’t allow me to trasmitt in all frequency/bands/power used by that radio set.