Main Donate Github Blog

Adding an external antenna connector

Greetings to the developers!

I would also like to add an SMA-male connector as an interface to the device for the ability to connect an external Wi-Fi antenna. For example, directional or more powerful. Really necessary thing in the field.

In order not to have to modify the device like this

The project is really interesting and I wish you good luck in achieving the goal!

1 Like

I can’t imagine how to add SMA connector to Flipper without making it terrible looking.

2 Likes

May be you are right. But this is really necessary feature.

Ok, tell me please, is there Bluetooth antenna on the Flipper? Is it use Wifi antenna or self?

And how can i use external wifi antenna? Connect wifi adapter over usb and use external antenna with it?

Thanks

Flipper Zero charges and transfers data with a micro-usb / usb type-c cable. So, you could probably use an OTG Y Cable (like on android phone). The drivers are just needed to be installed for the WiFi Adapter. Then you can add any external antenna to the adapter you like.

I’ll agree that an SMA connector would be ugly.

How about using a miniaturized coax connector such as IPEX? If I understand correctly, you can add an SMA adapter to that for cheap. I don’t know what kind of impact that has on the RF performance though.

I’m completely clueless when it comes to RF design, though, so let me know if this idea makes no sense.

I think we can add u.fl connector on pcb, and if user want external antenna, it can drill the case and connect whatever they need.

3 Likes

Yes. Adding Ipex (u. fl) connector on pcb will be great and good enough. Thankx!!

1 Like

I don’t think a small antenna connector would be ugly, there’s plenty of room on the device (maybe on the back or side or something) for this connector and I think it would be a good addition. :slight_smile:

I would suggest a mmcx instead of u.fl connector I have seen dozens of people breaking them, while trying to connect an sma pigtail to them. And well also fixed lots of smd u. FL connectors. Not everyone can solder smds and mmcx are super easy to use and last a very long time they allow fast an reliable changes and the case can be printed and easily have a cutout for the fitment of an sma pigtail. Definitely needs that for the range extension otherwise we have to solder on the board… A mmcx would allow to have a local setup with a fast-swap like system. Great work and congrats on exceeding wildly over all your stretch goals. Looking forward to Flipper one an will back then.

2 Likes

Agreed, SMA connector ftw win here. A yagi antenna will be a fun addition.

1 Like